Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Confessions of a sleepless mind

After a long long time, I did not sleep fitfully. For the uninitiated, this is also known as sleeping soundly, not waking up at random times in the deep of the night to solve complicated mathematical problems or ponder upon the mysteries of life or both, having so many of those elusive things called dreams that you actually remember a few of them when you wake up (much to your embarrassment) and not having out-of-body experiences where your body is sound asleep but your mind is busily awake, solving the afore-mentioned mathematical problems and pondering.........well, you get the drift. So, naturally when I woke up, I went into panic mode. I had new-found energy and even better, a sense of purpose coursing through my veins. Why panic-mode, you ask? Quite simply, I did not know what to do since I was so unfamiliar with this new me. After greeting my offspring and spouse with (shudder!) civility, I went about the business of actually composing a post for my blog for the very first time. What's so great about that, you ask? Well, only that this blog has been in my mind for oh, about four years now complete with imaginary followers, crisp writing and numerous awards for "most insightful blog", "most humorous blog", "most popular blog", "most grammatically correct blog" and the likes. For me, creating the blog was a victory of sorts forget writing a post. So, while marveling at my ability to remain civil to family members, I continued to write and lo and behold, the post increased in size. In between, I fed offspring various meals during the day and cooked (shudder!) a full meal which was also quite palatable for the spouse. I completed many small errands that I had saved for the day when people stop giving out free advice or Judgement day, whichever came later. If various soothsayers and my good friend K are to be believed, the latter will be some unspecified day in 2012, so I now have the advantage of an year and a half at least. I could not be more thrilled. I also engaged offspring in educational and mind sharpening games such as book cricket, showered before 6:00 p.m (if you are a tambram girl like me, you know that 6:00 p.m is a highly regarded time of day. I'm not sure who put this curfew time in the minds of my esteemed elders, but it stays and is fodder for a different post)  and spent the rest of the day in this new-found highly energetic state of mind. I also started thinking about what had led to this amazing night of sleep. Was it the fact that I had finally succumbed to elder offspring's badgering and signed him up for guitar lessons? The simple hug and joyful expression on offspring's countenance at the end of the first lesson was truly tear inducing. Was it the fact that I had finally gotten to sleep in my own bed after being unceremoniously thrown out of my room because offspring and spouse wanted to spend quality time together? Spouse has recently returned from vacation time all alone (seriously, what Gods must one pray to for such good fortune?) Or was it simply something that I ate? Rawa uppuma with thayir and oorga, for those who are wondering.  I could not think of a single scenario that might have affected this rare phenomenon. I decided to chalk this up as a random event all the while hoping against hope that it will be repeated tonight. Even if the Random Gods decide to rule in my favor again, I am pretty sure that tomorrow will not proceed as fruitfully as today did.....there are too many bad movie sequels out there for me to think otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to be nice.....