Sunday, March 20, 2011

The case of the missing socks

Folks who do the laundry know that there are at least fifteen lonely socks at the end of every single load. If you are like me, you keep them in a basket until you finish all the loads and try to match the one hundred singletons at the end of every laundry cycle. You will match most of them. That will leave you with about five that don't match. These are the ones that haunt me...they are the ones that keep me up at night with the burning question, "What happened to their pairs?"


I have a few theories, the most popular one being that the dryer hides them inside the vent and spits some out as lint. The dryer has an interesting way of doing this.....it hides selected singles in the dryer vent. Then, when you are wondering about the missing socks, it regurgitates the old pairs from the vent and hides a fresh set of singles from the latest load. This is sheer genius because this way, you are forever looking for pairs. Also, when you clean the dryer filter, there is always some lint sticking to it, so you overlook the massive collection inside the vent itself.


The second theory is the "sock monster" who flicks them when you are not looking and puts them back in another load to mess with you. For folks who are rolling their eyes at this, if there can be "underthebed monster", "basement monster", "furnace monster" and "Lochness monster", there can be "sock monster". You disagree? Well, they feel mighty real at 2 a.m along with my good friend Di's poltergeist/ghost theories (yes, the same ones that I laugh at in broad daylight).


Theory number three is that there exists an alternate dimension for single socks to which they are drawn inexorably. There they lie in stupor, floating without a care while you are left baffled. Alternatively, comet dust, asteroid particles, cosmic dust, circumplanetary dust, you know things more commonly known as space junk could all be just lonely socks from all our homes floating around. Suddenly the rings of Saturn lose their ethereal mystery....telescopic imaging aside, I am pretty sure that they are clean socks, is all I have to say!

10 comments:

  1. Creative thinking....very interesting.
    I have a basket loaded with lonely socks...I used to always blame my two irresponsible monsters for losing their pairs....Thanks for ur clarification, it is the sock monsters.....comet dust...etc etc. Now I can stop looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny.....good early morning laugh. Actually in my house the washer is the culprit. It just favors some individual socks and hides them in its rubberized rim and there, the poor dryer is getting blamed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!. It happens to me very often. I keep the singletons say for a month and give up and throw them away. Then the very next day I find the matching pair in a basket either in my closet or shankar's full of unmatched socks. It then rings a bell that I was the one who put the singletons a month ago hoping that I would find the matching pair!!. SO I guess I am the culprit!!
    One thing I have to agree with you Priya and that is I have lost my beauty sleep over these guys many nights!!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. let's not lose any more beauty sleep.....I hereby declare a new fashion trend--mis matched socks..
    Loved it Priya

    ReplyDelete
  5. apada my husband has retired so i need not worry about the missing one

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ rums...now you know where they go!

    @ sita.....we have a new culprit, "the rim rascal"!

    @ chittu.....repeat after me..."the washer/dryer is evil and I am PERFECT!"

    @ Sowm....I like new trend!

    @ Anon.....I have a whole new set of theories featuring the "Undie Bandit"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have always managed to find the missing pair, stashed very safely under the sofa cushion. Yes, I usually don't find it out on the laundry day...will find it on cleaning/sweeping/vacuuming day! Nonetheless the Eureka! (or kanden saacksai) moment is totally relishable.

    Good one Priya! - Meena

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Anon, you have actually found the missing pairs? You are my hero!
    "Kanden saacksai" was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to be nice.....